Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sleep. . .

I wish I was getting more of it! I had no idea that it was possible for a person to survive on two hours of sleep a night and still function, but I am doing it. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less! Granted there are a few more tears and breakdowns, but I am still managing to get through a normal day. I think I'm actually doing better than expected when I log each weeks' hours of sleep. It seemed like I wasn't getting much sleep when Matisyn was a newborn, but I guess it is all relative! I'm not getting dressed or ready most days, but for the most part I manage a shower, which seems impressive to me! I'm not a good napper, even when I am too tired for words. My brain takes too long to shut down, and by the time it does, there is a child in need of me again!
I know I am supposed to be all back to normal since Emilyn is 6 weeks old, but I'm feeling far from that. I am in a foggy daze, and am still pretty much in survival mode. I guess there is no "supposed to" when it comes to newborns, they have their own agenda. I feel guilty about not being able to keep up on things like I normally do, and I feel worried that I will let people down. I'm working on stepping back and focusing on what is best for my family, and what my priorities need to be right now. So I hope I don't offend anyone! I think it's hard as a mom to not feel obligated to do everything well, and as a woman not to say yes to everything that is asked of you. I'm reevaluating those things, thanks to a good friend that reminded me not to worry about what other people think, because there is no way for them to know what a situation is like for me or what I need to be able to handle it. I needed that advice! I'm also grateful for a helpful husband who helps me to get a couple extra hours of sleep on the weekends even though he's tired too, and talks through things with me when I'm trying to work them out in my clouded head. If only we could get Emilyn to take a bottle maybe I could get a little more sleep in a row with his help.
Emilyn is getting a little better with the new medicine we are on for her reflux. She seems in less pain, but still throws up alot, and therefore eats often. I'm not having a problem fattening her up though. I guess 15 or so feedings a day means something is staying down! She is also sleeping a little more without being held and seems more content more often. She is absolutely precious even with these things. I am managing to soak up every dazed moment possible with her, and loving them all. I think if we can get this reflux thing taken care of and manage to get a little more sleep, she is going to be a pretty calm, sweet baby. As crazy as things can be, I am really trying not to wish away this time. There is a Darius Rucker song called "It won't be like this for long" and I like it because I realize how fast this time goes by and it makes me want to appreciate each moment before it disappears. I guess that's why I take my few spare moments to myself to blog! I've got to record everything before my blurred state forgets it all!
As for Matisyn news she is still up to her old tricks, but had a pretty good week because she got so much attention. We decided to make a last minute trip to California to visit my family and friends there so that they could see the baby before she was too old. It was so nice to get out of the house, have some help with the kids, and have some adult time. I also liked being stuck in the car with Matt because it gave us some good talking time. The girls were fantastic on the ride there, even though Matt took us on a "short-cut" that ended up adding two plus hours to our already 12 hour trip. Good thing we left at 4:00 in the morning, so we still ended up there at a pretty good time. We went through Carson city and over the mountains through Big Trees State Park which was gorgeous.






We would have stopped had we not been so fearful that our luck with two perfect children would run out soon. Matisyn just sat there looking at books, eating snacks and looking out the window, and the car lulled Emilyn to sleep so she didn't need to eat as often and the bumps helped soothe her. We weren't as lucky on the ride home, but it wasn't too bad. We didn't do too much, but it was still more than we were used to, and we all had a great time. Too bad Matt had to work part of the time, but it made it so we could stay a little longer without using vacation days, which was nice.

Meeting Grandma Anne, Aunt Linda, Grandma Karen, and Uncle Chunk for the first time



Four Generations (Matisyn was napping)




We went to a bbq at Jill's house, Emilyn met Baby Olivia and Laura (best friend from high school) and, of course Jill and the family. Matisyn got to swim with little buddy Kate. We also got to spend a day with Mike and Alison. We went to the park and then went to BJ's for dinner. Mom watched Emilyn, and Jens and Matisyn were crazy, but had alot of fun together the whole day. They are much too much alike! Family friends Jeanette and Books and Al came over to meet new baby too.



Add Image


Two cute girls in matching outfits from Grandma Barb, at least I get them dressed up cute if I can't manage it for myself!

Matching bracelets from Alison


SIX WEEKS OLD




Matisyn quotes of the week:

"Jens says potty words, and Matisyn says shut up. We are bad kids!" Matisyn tells us all the time that shut up is a bad word. We think she repeatedly finds reasons to say shut up without getting in trouble just so she can say the word shut up!

"It's simple mom, you just go goodbye out the door. This is Grandma and Matisyn's castle." Apparently I was not invited to attend the campout in Matisyn's room with Grandma and her. I just liked that she said it's simple. Where did she get that from?

"Just a minute mom" One of my favorites coming back to bite me! I'm trying not to use this on her as much since she apparently thinks it is fine to use it back on me!

MATISYN'S DANCE RECITAL

Matisyn has been in a dance class again the past few months. She has done much better than last time at listening and following directions, but we are still learning! It is a 3-4 year old class and she is the youngest by quite a bit I think. The recital was really cute. Matisyn did great the first couple of times her class came out to perform. They showed things they learned in class, and she was adorable. She kept calling out, "Hi Mommy, Hi Daddy" and waving at us. I felt bad that she was being distracting, but I think everyone thought she was cute. Then on the last dance, the one that they practiced that was choreographed, she ran out to hug us and decided that she would rather play in the gravel and run around with the boys playing trucks then to do her dance. That's Matisyn! Gotta love her!




i

Sitting out the last dance!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my friend! I wish I could sleep for you. I'm glad you had a great time in Calif. You needed it. Until our walks can resume, I guess I'll have to be content to chat via the blogosphere. Mati looked so cute at her dance recital. Loved the pics. Miss you. Please let me know what I can do for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your sleep deprivation brings back such memories! In a way it was nice when just getting a shower made a pretty accomplished day. Now I think I feel just as worn out, but have no excuse to be lounging in my pajamas till dinner (that I'm sure I haven't made yet). :) Oh the joys of motherhood! At least we're all in good company huh? :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete