Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pioneer Trek

Pioneer Trek
June 6-8

After a lot of time and effort on a lot of people's parts, the trek came together, and was a success!  It took a lot to get things organized to go, get packed, get my kids packed and delivered, etc. but once we were there, we were happy for the experience we had.  I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to go a second time, to feel the spirits of those earlier pioneers who sacrificed so much for future generations.  I'm thankful for my pioneer ancestors.  My great Grandpa was only five when he left England with his family to cross the plains to Utah.  His father, my great-great Grandpa was blind, sold the Inn his family owned, and took his family on this difficult journey.  He didn't make it, he died shortly before reaching the Salt Lake Valley, but my great Grandpa did.  It is hard not to be in awe of the kind of people pioneers were to give up so much for the God they loved and the call they received to head west.  To walk in their footsteps is a faith building experience to say the least.

Last time we struggled with cold, snow, mud, `wet and rain, and this time we battled 70 mile or so winds almost the whole day on Tuesday.  A tent pole bent in half, a tent ripped end to end, sand was whipping at our faces, and the handcarts were harder to pull.  It gave the kids a better idea of the hardships the pioneers faced, and we were all exhausted by the end. 

The first day we drove the six hours to Wyoming, packed our handcarts, hiked three miles in, set up camp, and enjoyed a little square dancing before bed!  I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun the square dancing was, maybe I'm going to bring it back at the next dance I go to!  That night we had a visitor, Ephram Hanks, one of the rescuers of the Martin and Willie Handcart companies.  He told the story of "his" life from Ephram's perspective.  When he finished and said Amen, a wind picked up and whipped so hard through the camp, ripping one tent and collapsing some others.  It was a mad scramble to fix tents and rotate sleeping assignments.  The kids couldn't stop talking about the crazy wind starting right after the word Amen!

 We were divided into "families" with each handcart.  Matt and I were the Grandpa and Grandma, two of our older kids were the ma and pa, Alex and Paige, they were both fantastic, and then we had two more girls and three more boys.  Our family really was great.  They all worked together, pulled their share, helped other handcarts when they needed it, etc.


 
 The adult group that received the trail of faith award


 Bishop Jensen



 Matt and I were mainly in charge of putting together the trek journal with quotes, information, schedule, games, journal lines, etc., training the mas and pas, and then running some games during down time.  Above the kids were playing elbow tag together.  Matt got them started, but couldn't keep going for as long as they wanted to play.  I think we're getting old!


 Matt, Paige, Kristin

 The crazy wind the first night, and the scrambling to fix the tents


 The people you go with on these kind of things make the trip.  I was so happy to be able to go with my friend Amy, and also get to know some other great leaders and friends better.


The second day was the big hiking day, and the biggest wind day.  We hiked to Martin's Cove, which again proved to be an amazingly reverent place.  You can't help but feel strong emotions when passing through.  It is where the Martin Handcart company stayed for a number of days to find some shelter from the wind and weather.  Many died there. We hiked around the big loop, heard stories from the missionaries, hiked to Devil's Gate, experienced the Women's Pull, and hiked all the way back.  I'm not sure how far we went that day, probably around 10 miles, but with the strong winds and pulling handcarts it certainly felt like longer.  That night we worried about how we would be able to have a testimony meeting in this wind.  Right when we were due to begin, the wind calmed down, and literally stayed calm until the end of the meeting.  It was a great testimony meeting, the kids had felt the spirit throughout the trip, and were touched by their experience.  The main sentiment mentioned over and over, which I can back up myself is, "I'm so glad I didn't have to be a pioneer."

 Our family and handcart getting ready to start out the second day.


 Matt trying out pulling the handcart by himself.


 They kept telling us to watch for snakes, that they had had multiple rattle snake sightings.  Luckily we didn't see any of those, just of couple of these kinds, which was enough for me!


 Cove Talk


 Devil's Gate, and our bishopric


 Kristin and Paige


Matt and me at Devil's Gate, don't we look like great pioneers?!!!  The river was so high, as you can tell below, that we weren't able to do the river crossing.  The water would have been up to our necks as adults, which means the kids could have floated away.  I was glad that I got to experience it last time, and was not too sad that we weren't crossing the freezing water up to our necks this time!

 Matt getting some much needed rest, while he made his "kids" pull him!


 The women's pull was a much different experience from last time, difficulty wise, because we weren't pulling through the ruts and mud, but the same feelings were there.  This is a simulation of the men being called to war and the women being left to pull the handcarts by themselves and take care of their families.  It is a powerful reminder of the hardships they faced.  Seeing all the men and boys up at the top of the hill unable to help is emotional.






 We made it!  The last day we packed up camp, hiked the three miles back to drop off our handcarts, and rode the bus the 6 hours back home, tired, sunburned, windburned, and happy!

1 comment:

  1. Kristin and Matt...
    This looks like such a great adventure! I shouldn't say this out loud, but I would LOVE to be able to go on trek sometime....they didn't have it when we were teens and I'm sure it's an amazing testimony builder for everyone who goes :)....thanks for sharing the pics...you're lovely grandparents!

    ReplyDelete