Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Moab Half Marathon

March 19-21
We spent last weekend in Moab, also known as Matt's old stomping ground. He is really in his element there, torn between being a grown-up Daddy and wanting to jump back into his role as a crazy river guide. His old bosses and friends, Steve and Nikki, that own World Wide River Expeditions, were nice enough to let us crash four trailers in their yard. We went for the Moab Half Marathon, and it's a crazy weekend to find a place to stay or camp, so we were grateful for the accommodations. Matt was the one to run, along with Jana and Joey, and two of our other neighbor friends. I was proud of him for finishing strong, considering the amount of time he really had to train. The longest run he had done before the race was 7 1/2 miles, and he only did that once. His time was two hours twenty something minutes, and as you'll see in the picture he was even smiling in the end, although very sore. While the runners were gone I was taking charge of six little ones, including two babies. Since Jana and Joey were both running I took care of their kids too. Her boys were great, but Matisyn was her normal dramatic self, and the babies really wanted to give me a taste of what it would be like to have twins! We spent the rest of our time hiking around Arches. Both girls were happy as can be outside. Matisyn keeps asking when we can leave on our next camping trip.
Raylene, Joey, Jana, and Matt (Annie is missing)

All the kids right after the runners left

Don't they look like they're thinking, now what? Even they look worried! Such cute babies!

Matisyn was freaking out about her hands being cold, right as both babies were crying, and I was trying to make them both bottles! I finally got her to settle down, we warmed up her hands and put her in my fleece and my piano gloves that I've had since 5th grade!



Jared and I walking over with all the kids to watch everyone finish the race

There's Matt, only three blocks left to go, after 13.1 long miles!

I love this picture of Matiysn and Mason running for the arches.

Double-O Arch


Check out her pose!

Mommy and Matisyn up in the Windows in Arches



Our little climber, as with so many other things we are trying to tell Matisyn to have some fear. She was running and climbing all over with no worry. She really does seem grown up these days.


Mommy and Matisyn showing off on the other side of the windows. Matisyn insisted we climb over and down and back up to this ledge on the other side.

Kristin and Jana
Love that smile, Emilyn was so happy on our hike



Matisyn reading to Emilyn in her playpen, so precious when they are actually getting along and Matisyn is being gentle.


Daddy pulling double duty. This got some funny looks on the trail. I tried to take Matisyn for him, but he said he didn't mind. What a great Daddy!





At the top of the Delicate Arch hike



The girls entertaining themselves during the race. Matisyn loved getting to play with our neighbor's, Jared and Raylene's, older girls, and I was grateful for their dad's help with the two babies. The girls' grandpa was there too, and he even got Jana's baby Aubrey to fall asleep for a while. It was great to have the swings, trampoline, and other play equipment at the warehouse where we were staying too.










Matisyn always wanted to be out in front, and for the most part she was!




Sleepy time in the tent trailer, Emilyn upgraded from her rubbermaid bed to her playpen on top of the table bed




Matt sleepy enough the morning after the race to ignore the crazy girls! Emilyn woke up four or so times a night, both nights, which also woke Matisyn up, so we were pretty exhausted by the end of the trip. It was cold, cold, cold outside and I was glad for our little heater. Sadly the first night we ran out of propane, so we were freezing and trying to keep the girls bundled.
The little dot sitting on a rock was Matisyn while we were hiking the three mile hike to Delicate Arch. She ended up doing awesome, but it took her a while to warm up. Matt and I had to take turns carrying her a bit to get her going. Here she is pouting about us not taking more of a rest. . . we had just started! It didn't take her long to get into the groove and start running around and climbing up and down rocks. She ended up hiking most of the way by herself.
Check out Matt with the pink princess pack. I was carrying it, but he said it actually helped balance him out with Emilyn on the front.



Matisyn and I climbed down right by the arch. It's pretty steep, and quite a ways down if you were to fall, so she was pretty nervous, and cold.






Matisyn climbed up this steep hill and then slid down on her tummy and bum. The picture next to that is of Matisyn enjoying a little section in the rock that she called her thinking spot! After that all the boys wanted a thinking spot too!


After we got home I had to capture both girls' bright pink faces. I felt so bad that I forgot sunscreen. I didn't even think about it and all four of us ended up with sunburned faces.
Although packing and preparing for trips like this aren't my favorite, it ended up being a very nice weekend, and it was great to get away as a family. Good job Matthew and hello billions of loads of laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment