Tuesday, August 30
Finally the big day came, and Matisyn was able to go to her first day EVER of big girl school, also known as, Kindergarten! She has been talking about it all summer, and although she had a few worries and concerns, she was more than ready to start. I was pretty emotional in the morning, couldn't quite get my breakfast eaten, but she was all smiles. When Matt went in to wake her up, thinking she was still sleeping, he found her in the corner of her bed, knees up to her chest, grinning ear to ear. When he asked her if she remembered what today was she said, "I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait." All morning she kept saying, "I wish it was time for Kindergarten RIGHT NOW!" Matt stayed a little later than usual and made her special pancakes for her first day. Emilyn and I walked her to the bus stop.
Emilyn had a hard time the whole day because she didn't get to go with Matisyn. She cried when we sent Matisyn off on the bus, "Me go on bus, me go on bus," when we left her in her classroom, "Me go to school too," and when we left the school to head home. She was really feeling left out of all the fun. She has settled down since, I think because she's realized it's fun to have Mom all to herself for a few hours!
Matisyn got right on the bus, no tears, just pure excitement and delight, and because of that I think I did better than expected with the send off. I didn't even end up crying. I think getting to see her happily settled in her seat, and knowing that she is so ready to start this next chapter helped. Just to make sure she found her way on the first day I rode my bike with my friend Ashly to the school. I think this was probably more for me than her! When we found the Kindergarten lines, there was no Matisyn. Apparently I did need to follow her, panic set in! Turns out she had gone around to the back of the school to the playground with some of the "big kids" from our street. They were cute, and wanted to help her on her first day. They walked in with her just a minute or so later and I showed her where to line up with her class. I got a few more pictures in line, then followed her to the classroom where I quickly snapped a shot of her in front of the hooks and cubbies, and then one sitting at her new table. She seemed to settle right in playing with the cube blocks at her table.
When I picked her up at the bus stop she was still all smiles. She had a great first day. I made cookies for her and had them ready with milk when she got home. She was so happy about that. She comes home tired and hungry, but so excited about her day. Most of the time when I ask what she did so far though she says, "I forgot," but then throughout the day she'll remember little things to share with me. She loves her teacher Mrs. Coles, has already met a new friend or two, considers recess her favorite subject already, and when asked how Kindergarten is going she almost always responds, "It's awesome," with two big thumbs up.
















No comments:
Post a Comment