Monday, June 17, 2013

First Half of June

First Half of June
What we've been up to...

It's hard to believe we are half way through the first month of summer already.  These are some things that we have been up to...

  • Lots of crafts, pictures, art projects, and even a day of science projects. (Special heart notes from Matisyn for each member of the family, she can be so thoughtful sometimes!)


  • Emilyn's first day of summer preschool at the rec center.  She was so nervous because she didn't know anyone, but she was so brave and had a great first day.  It was fun to spend those couple of hours with Matisyn.  We pushed baby brother in the stroller and walked on the track together.  We have spent some of the other time at the library, and one day she spent showing me stretching and exercises she has learned from gymnastics and P.E., which was so cute.  It's also given us some time to read together.  Lucas has been so good to just come along happily to whatever we are doing, even though it falls during his morning nap.

  • A little food tasting for Lucas.  I've been introducing some new baby foods, but this is often the face I get from him!  I think this was his first taste of mangoes.  I think the face says it all about how he felt about them.  He still eats much better if it is Matt feeding him.  He thinks only milk should come from his mama!

 He was so happy when I let him gnaw on an apple core.  He was working hard on that thing!


  • So... Emilyn managed to order herself a Barbie all by herself off of our Amazon account.  We came home one evening to a package on our doorstep.  Matt thought I ordered it, and I thought he did.  We checked our Amazon Prime account and saw that in fact we had ordered this Barbie somehow.  We finally accused Matisyn of playing on our account, and how we knew she must have been looking at the barbies.  She looked confused and repeatedly said she didn't, but we figured she must be lying.  Poor girl was telling the truth.  When Emilyn came downstairs we jokingly asked her if she had seen any barbies on the Kindle.  She got all excited and started telling us about this special snow barbie and how she wanted it so much and she clicked on it so she could buy it but it didn't work.  We were shocked and a little impressed, so we decided we would surprise her with the actual barbie, but tell her we ordered it when we saw she was looking at them so that she didn't get any ideas about ordering more for herself.  My mom says we're lucky she didn't order a car!  We disabled one click ordering immediately!  You can tell how happy those girls are about their surprise gift though.  And we got quite a bit of joy from realizing that our barely four year old can order things for herself off of Amazon.  We better watch out!


  •  Sleeping in funny places!  We find the girls all over these days.  They love to sneak into our bed and fall asleep so we have to carry them to bed when we go up.  I love how close they are snuggled up in this picture.  They also requested a slumber party on their floor the other night.  Emilyn ends up in our bed almost every night right now.  I carry her back to her bed, and Matt usually falls asleep and lets her stay.  I'll give you one guess for who she usually crawls in next to.  She knows how to work the system around here!  We've also found Matisyn asleep in our rocking chair covered in books.  Lucas moves all over in his crib now.  He manages to move himself sideways and up to the very top often like he did in this picture.


  •  Lucas just plain being cute.  I'm not sure he could get any cuter!  Here he is ready for church one Sunday.


  •  Having make-up parties.  Matisyn rediscovered her make-up kit, and the girls have spent lots of time having "do-overs" as Emilyn calls them.  This particular day was quite an extreme color choice for the cheeks and nose.

  •  Along with the new baby foods Lucas has been trying he got to have his first puffs.  He is really good at manipulating objects with his one finger so he was able to get the puff from the tray to his mouth pretty well.  He wasn't sure about the texture at first, but he is a huge fan now. 

 Has anyone seen my puff?!!!

  •  Lucas took his first big baby boy, sitting up bath, in the kitchen sink.  He was so happy to be up high looking around, and he loved to play with the water.  I remembered that Emilyn loved having baths like this at his age.  I showed her a picture of her taking one and she saw that silly Matisyn had climbed in the other side of the sink.  She had to try that out too.  I can't believe she could still fit.  Lucas didn't mind, he loved having a buddy up there with him.











  •  Lucas working on his football hold at an early age.  I love the way he's holding his banana.  Too bad his mom will probably think football is too dangerous for her precious boy!
  •  We had a cooking spill in the oven a couple of weeks earlier...apparently the oven wasn't too happy about it.  It started on fire and panicked us a bit.  We had the fire extinguisher ready, but as Matt said if you're going to have a fire, the oven is a good place!  I was glad he was home when it happened.  My super husband cleaned the whole oven out after the fire finally finished.

  •  Fan tent made by Matt for the girls.  They love a good tent of any kind.  They take all their special things inside and pretend they are camping out.

  •  The girls had a week of summer camp down at the neighborhood preschool.  I love that they do these camps.  It's only three days for an hour and a half each, but the girls loved it.  It was fun for them to go together.  I love that they still love to match clothes.  This was all their idea, wanting to match from head to toe, from hair bands to shoes.  So cute!  The theme for the summer camp was "Under the Sea."  They made lots of fun ocean crafts.




  •  The ducks are huge!  They are full fledged ducks now.  They have their pen area still, but love to roam the backyard pecking for bugs and plants.  We still get a kick out of watching them.  They still think we're the scary people who feed, water, and protect them.  They flap their wings and waddle and quack when we come near!
  •  Matisyn is taking lots of pictures with her camera.  It's always fun to see the world through her eyes.  Baby brother is a very well photographed subject around here.
  • Strep Throat!  I had the worst case that I can remember.  I felt like I was swallowing rocks, and was pretty miserable.  I went around spitting in sinks and cups so I wouldn't have to swallow.  It was gross and very painful.  I waited too long to go to the doctor, so it got pretty bad before I started the antibiotics.  Matisyn ended up with it too.  I took her in as soon as she said she felt the sore throat so it wouldn't get as bad.  So far the rest of the family seems to have safely escaped it.
  • Matt went out of town on a business trip to Wyoming for a week.  He happened to leave at the height of my strep misery, so the first couple of days of him being gone we spent around the house.  We did manage to go to the Dinosaur Museum on one of the days and get ice cream cones.  I felt bad I wasn't up to doing more, but the girls are pretty happy to create their own fun with their big imaginations at home too.  
 


  • Emilyn also had her Spring dance dress rehearsal and dance recital while Matt was gone.  He was sad to miss it, but she did great.  (Pictures on a separate post.)
  • We went on our first camping trip for the year the weekend before Matt left. (Pictures also on a separate post.)
  • Even with the sickness and the business trip with Matt gone, it has been a pretty good first couple of weeks.  I'm hoping we can avoid anymore being sick since it is summer, and enjoy some more fun times together!

No comments:

Post a Comment