Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday Matisyn

I'm running out of birthday titles for blog posts!  Matisyn got to celebrate quite a bit for this birthday, and that suited her just fine!  We had the friend party Friday night, family party Sunday night, Monday was her actual birthday, Wednesday she got to celebrate at preschool with a poster and treats we made, and Thursday we went to Monkey Island with her best little "boyfriend", friend that's a boy who didn't get to come to the princess party, Porter.  It was a great week for her! 

On her actual birthday we had to take Emilyn to the doctor (double ear infections) in the morning.  Then in the afternoon we went to Toys R Us to pick out a toy with her gift card, she picked a Zooble, and to Brick Oven for dinner, where a balloon man made her an amazing Princess Aurora and Emilyn an Elmo and they sang to her over a lollipop sundae.  When we got home she got to open her presents from us.  One of them was make-up, needless to say that was a hit.  I haven't decided if it was a good idea or not yet, but she sure is happy about it.  All this celebrating started to take it's toll on our little spirited girl.  I think she needs some down time to recover and return to reality.  I don't want to rush her though!


This balloon guy was amazing, I can't believe the things he could create out of balloons! 


 Matisyn with her balloon Princess Aurora

 Emilyn with her balloon Elmo






Some highlights of 5 year old Matisyn:
  • She loves to sing, dance, and perform.  If there is an audience she is in her element.  
  • She loves to be the center of attention.
  • Her favorite foods consist of mostly sugar, candy, ice cream, soda, cake, cookies, treats of any kind really.  She also loves chicken nuggets, bbq fish, broccoli (surprisingly enough!), almost all fruit, especially watermelon and berries, mac and cheese, ranch dressing, milk, and raisin bran.
  • She is a PRINCESS.  The world revolves around her, as it should, and she knows it!
  • We are trying to grow out her hair and her bangs, so it will be princess hair, and it drives me crazy.  She hates having her hair brushed and cries every time I pull through a tangle.  I like it better short and often have dreams of chopping it off again, but her and her Dad would be crushed.
  • Even though she feels the above way about growing out her hair she has thus far cut it three times herself.
  • She is DRAMATIC, with all capital letters.
  • Whatever she does, she does it BIG.  I always get comments about how cute she is, and what a fun personality she has.  She is always entertaining to watch and listen to.
  • She remembers everything so I have to be careful what I say around her.  She will repeat random facts from preschool about Martin Luther King, fire safety, or George Washington weeks or months after they talk about them.  She will also repeat things to Matt or others that I've said on the phone to my mom or to my best friends. . . that can be dangerous!
  • She is smart and picks up on things quick.  She loves random facts like her Dad.
  • She is excited about learning to read, but Matt and I cannot seem to practice with her.  She does not respond well to us helping her, and we all end up frustrated.  She knows all her letters and sounds, but is just learning word families and how to sound things out.
  • She likes to make pictures and cards for people, and writes strings of letters together to form words.  She can write anything if you tell her the letters.  She also likes to create random art projects out of things she finds in the pantry, and make big messes in the process. 
  • With this good memory and hearing, she still can't listen to what I say when I'm standing right next to her!
  • She is funny, and keeps us laughing. She loves to tell made-up knock-knock jokes right now, and can usually get a genuine laugh from us just because of how funny she thinks she is!
  • She loves to make dirt stew outside by stealing dirt from my flower pots, picking flowers and sticks up on the way home from preschool or from around our backyard, adding water from wherever she can find it, and stirring.  She can also make pixie dust in a similar way!
  • I wish we were done with it, but she can still throw a tantrum like a stubborn two year old.  She has a temper, and needs to get her own way.  We are constantly working through this, but I guess aren't we all?  We just learn to not throw the tantrum as we get older!  I'm hoping she will too.
  • Her favorite toys right now are anything that uses her imagination.  She is much more likely to play with her barbies and dress-ups then to pick up blocks or other more structured toys.
  • She still loves television, and I have to control how much she watches.  Her favorites right now are princess shows and Scooby Doo.  She loves a good mystery with Scooby.
  • She loves to play with friends, and she seems to get along with all different personalities.  She asks to have a friend over everyday, all day.
  • She was taking gymnastics this year, but decided to go back to dance so she could perform again!  
  • She is adored by her little sister, but picks and chooses when she is going to be nice.  Sometimes she is kicking her for no reason and pulling a toy away from her, and sometimes she is holding her hand all the way home from preschool just because it makes Emilyn happy, or giving up her prized possession just so Emilyn can hold it.  There are finally short periods where they play nicely, even laugh hysterically at each other, but it still usually ends in crying.
  • She is always talking, talking, talking.  She is always making some sort of noise whether it is telling a story, asking me a question, singing, banging on something, etc.  I think she can't stand the quiet!
  • Since she was little it has been this way, but I will say again, with Matisyn the lows are exasperating, but the highs are exhilarating.  I don't think we would have such a smart, talented, impressive little girl without the stubborn, frustrating side.  So, I'll take them both, because together I get my little Matisyn, and she really is something special!






Here are a couple shots of Emilyn showing off her piggy tail.  Right when I was ready to cut off the mullet I realized I could put it back in a cute little piggy, or pull it pretty easily up into two piggy tails.  So now I'm not so sure.  She loves the piggy tails, and when I put them in she runs around the house saying, "piggies, Emi so pretty, Emi so pretty," and patting her head.

Matisyn Quote:

We were in Moab camping this weekend, and while we were hiking Matisyn said with conviction, "I am going to conquer my fears and climb down this rock.  What does conquer mean again?"

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried starfall.com with Matisyn for reading? Jens LOVES it, and his K teacher recommended it. It is all reading stuff.

    Glad she had such a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete