Matisyn is finishing up the alphabet again in preschool this year. She is great with all her letters and sounds, and is just starting to learn to sound things out and recognize some sight words. She also started writing her name with the lower case letters recently which was apparently a big accomplishment. She was really fighting against the change. If it isn't broke, why fix it she thought?!!
We finally tried Bountiful Baskets, the vegetable and fruit co-op. We got all this, which was the normal basket, plus a mexican pack. I even made fresh salsa for the first time ever with the stuff I got. It's fun to try some new things I don't usually buy, and the quality is great. We'll definitely do it again. Matisyn was so excited to organize it for us!
Here's a video Matt took of her eating a sour lime, her faces are pretty funny!
Our other Saturday project was cleaning out the back of the crawl space in the basement that houses all my teaching stuff. I think Matt was hoping I would get rid of more, but honestly I just don't know what I'll need when I eventually go back, so I kept most of it. We just vacuumed it up, and I reorganized which meant a lot more space, and it will be easier to get into the books if I want them for the girls. I wish I had a before picture too, because I'm pretty impressed with myself and the after picture. My back and knees were pretty angry by the end though. Since organization is a kind of drug for me, it was worth it! I tried to get Matt to admit I'm the queen of organization, and bow to my talents, but he wasn't admitting anything!
We've also been enjoying a visit from Matt's sister Megan and her boys, David and Sam. Matisyn could not wait for them to get here and then for us to go over and see them at Grandma's on Sunday. The four played so well, we hardly saw them all night. Matt deserves credit for some of that time, as he spent it giving animal rides, making animal sounds, and playing games with them while we visited in the kitchen!
We also enjoyed a swimming day at the rec pool with them, and with Aunt Wendy, or "Winnie" as Emilyn likes to call her!, Kenzie and Cassie Jo. Emilyn wanted Cassie to go everywhere with her. She kept saying, "Come Jo, go walk." "Swim, Jo, Come." Emilyn was getting frustrated in the deeper water because she really wanted me to let her go so she could be on her own, but when I did it, it made her mad because she went under. When she was walking in the shallow water we got to test her new swim skills. She tripped forward twice, and automatically turned herself over to the floating position. It startled me (and her) each time, but I was so grateful that she was able to do that. Matisyn and David were swimming all over the place, and loved getting to play in the water together.
Emilyn had to have goggles just like her big sister. She also loved the big (medium) slide like her sister. She kept begging to go, and finally I figured I would let her, and see what happened. I assumed she would panic, but immediately after splashing out the bottom said, "again!"
Emilyn and Sammy thought they were so funny hiding in the lockers after swimming!
Getting dressed and undressed are highlights of Emilyn's day lately. Every time I go to get her in her crib it is a surprise as to what I will find. It is best when I remember to safety pin her pajamas closed because then she can't get her diaper off. I have changed a lot of sheets because of her unveiling! This was one day that I put the pin in so she couldn't undress. She improvised and put her beautiful ruffly church dress on top, pulled from the hamper next to her bed, and was so proud of herself when I came in. Such a funny girl! Last night I forgot the pin, and when I went to get her this morning she had pulled pants and a shirt out of the hamper, undressed, and redressed in the dirty clothes, without the diaper. She was again so proud of herself, big smiles when I came in. She kept saying, "look Mommy, I dressed. I do my clothes."
Here is Emilyn showing off her favorite tantrum position. Very small things can set her off, but luckily she is VERY easily distracted, so these don't last long. Often she pops up smiling on her own, like she forgot why she was crying in the first place!
Here she is with those fingers and one of her favorite blankies. She isn't so set on a certain one right now, which is nice. Except when she has to have "two blankies peas mommy" instead of just the one!
I had playgroup on Tuesday this week. Emilyn loves being included playing with the big kids. Right now too many kids are talking at once so Matisyn has her hands up trying to get them to talk one at a time. They were pretty hyper this week, I'm guessing the changing weather has gotten to them!
Emilyn feeding Matisyn her dinner. We convinced Matisyn to humor her little sister, and Emilyn loved it. She even did an airplane to get sister to eat it better! We took a video because she was being so cute.
Along with the undressing in her crib thing has come the mess. Here is an example of the fun that can come from Emilyn taking her diaper off when it is full of stuff. That is not chocolate, and it was NOT fun to clean up!
Going potty has been big around our house this week. Emilyn keeps asking to "go poppy" all day long. I'm not really ready to potty train her because I'm not sure she's ready, but she sure is excited about it. I don't want to miss my opportunity where she is so interested. When I cleaned out the crawl space I pulled out the little potty. Every time I turn around she has undressed herself and wants to sit on the "poppy." She is crying wolf though, because so far she hasn't actually gone once. She just likes to sit down, get up, sit down, get up, sit down, wipe, and flush. The one time I didn't let her go, she was saying "poo poo, poppy, mommy" over and over, like she has before. I said no and distracted her with something else, and guess what I found in the diaper shortly after? I felt bad, I didn't listen, and I missed my chance to do the big potty celebration dance! Still on the fence with whether to go all in or not. . . we'll see!








We are still safety pinning Jane's jammies closed.:)
ReplyDelete