Thursday, July 2, 2015

Summertime!

Summertime!  (1st Half of June)

We have had a fun first couple weeks of summer!  Since I know there will be a new little baby joining us next month, I have tried to pack in the fun, and keep the kids busy while I can!  Matt was home for the first week of summer, and was able to be here for Emilyn's dance recital.  He left the following Monday for a two week work trip to the National Collegiate Rodeo in Wyoming.  He worked hard, early mornings and late nights, and came home pretty exhausted.  He had a successful trip though.  It was a long time to have him away, but we kept busy while he was gone.

I'm getting bigger, and feeling some effects of late pregnancy, like heartburn, exhaustion, trouble sleeping, cramping and contractions.  I try to take time during the day to rest and let my body recover, because I definitely don't have all of my normal energy!  It hasn't slowed us down much though.  Lucas naps most days, so we end up home in the afternoon anyway.  It's been nice to have the kids home, and get to have adventures together.

Their summer classes have started.  Emilyn is in a reading class at the library, Matisyn is taking an art class, and they are both in drama together again.  They have their classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and we usually fit a library visit in there on one of those days each week too.  Lucas and I take the time when they are both in drama to grocery shop or run errands.  We are also doing the priviledge sticks again this summer.  The girls earn them for getting their chores done, being helpful, reading, doing things without being asked, etc.  When they earn 10 sticks they get to choose a surprise activity out of a jar.  There are art projects, science experiments, cooking, etc.  We've been so busy on our outings and playdates with friends that we haven't been as good at earning the sticks or doing our fun activities that they earn at home.  They've enjoyed the ones we have done so far though, and it's a fun way to motivate them.

 Park time!  The girls discovered that the bag of cars that Lucas insisted on bringing could be lots of fun for them too.  They had many races down the different slides.  Lucas was very entertained by it as well!  Emilyn is so proud that she learned how to do the monkey bars.  These were a little trickier, but she was happy to try them out.




 Our big blow up slides did not survive the winter.  They sadly had to be thrown away.  We got a little pool to help tide us over until we are ready to get new ones some day.  The girls loved playing with their whale and dolphin splashing around in the pool.  Lucas was jumping from the top of the mini slide and landing at the cushion at the bottom!  P.S.  He loves the hose this summer.  He is constantly turning on the water!





 We have been lucky enough to have some swim days at Grandma's pool.  It is technically owned by someone else now, so we just enjoy the days we get.  They have worked out a pretty good system, and the new owner has been wonderful with letting the family still use it.  My kids could swim everyday if I let them, so we love every opportunity we have to spend there.  Having cousins to play with makes it even better.  Lucas is still very brave and bold in the water.  He is at least yelling my name to warn me when he jumps in so I have a chance to be there to pull him out.  He has spent time going off the diving board twenty plus times in a row, he loves it so much!




 Lucas inspires Abby to be a little braver and try out the diving board too!



 LOVE this happy face!!!

Emilyn's new doggy purse.  She got a gift card for Target for her birthday. and she was so excited to use it.  We spent forever walking around looking at her options.  She was almost in tears because she was having such a hard time deciding.  It was pretty cute, that she was taking her decision so seriously.  She finally decided on this purse, and was very happy about her decision!


 Our first privilege activity, making our own silly putty!






 I love how different boys play than girls!  The girls spent hours shaping and playing with the silly putty, but Lucas spent lots of time drilling and using his tools on the putty.  He had a whole arsenal of tools set out!


 Another fun pool day!  I love all the creative play the girls come up with.  The pool brings out some extra imagination!



 This is evidence of a good day!  This little guy was exhausted after a big day of swimming!


 Lucas had some handsome long hair, but it was getting pretty unruly, so we took him in for a haircut.  He is such an adorable little boy!  He loves Cookie Cutters, playing on the slide, getting a balloon, and a sucker, and he is always so well behaved for his haircuts.


 Privilege stick activity, sand volcanoes, explosions made with baking soda and vinegar!






 I had a buddy in my bed almost every night when Matt was gone.  Matisyn read in my bed one night, and fell asleep.  She loves our bed!  Most of the nights it was Emi sleeping by me though.  She loved getting to wake up in the middle of the night and snuggle with me!

 The girls were so excited to explore the newly remodeled park by our house.  They were crushed when they saw it being taken down, and then elated when they found out it was because they were putting up an even better one.  They couldn't wait to try it out.






 What would a week with Matt away be without some sick kids?!!  Lucas and Emilyn ended up with some sort of sickness with a fever, feeling completely lethargic and miserable.  Lucas's only lasted a couple of days, but Emilyn's was longer.  She had a sore throat and one night she threw up, so I took her in to get strep tested.  It was negative, and she ended up feeling better in another day or so, which was a relief.  With Matt gone, it was tough to be stuck at home, and we were happy to be able to get back to our busy scheduling!

Lucas hardly ever falls asleep on me like this anymore, so even though I was sad he wasn't feeling well, this was a treat!



 Matisyn was giving me a hard time with doing her jobs, so I told her I would add an extra one.  I knew I had to think of something she would hate.  I hit the jackpot!  I told her she needed to clean the sliding door track.  She was dramatically gagging at the dirt and bugs and dust she was finding.  After the drama settled down, I was so proud of the job she did.  It was cleaner than I could have done! I warned her there were plenty more window sills if she is interested!   She's been an angel about helping ever since!


 Fourth of July colored rubber bands for her braces!

 Lucas being sneaky and hiding from me in his bed!  He was giggling the whole time!


No comments:

Post a Comment