We just got back from a camping trip to Bryce. I had never been there and Matt hadn't been since he was a kid. I can't believe it took us so long to go. It was gorgeous. We are so lucky to have such beautiful places right by us in Utah. We went Saturday to Monday. Matt and I could have spent a lot more time there, and would have loved to backpack through some of these areas. The girls, however, were ready to go home. They were both wonderful hiking and enjoying the outdoors, but between Emilyn hating being in the car and crying as loud as she could everytime we got in, and Matisyn throwing screaming tantrums over the smallest of things, we were ready to get them home! Matt and I had to just laugh when we'd realize they were both crying at the same time and we couldn't do much about it. We loved bedtime and naps in the car! Aside from the tantrums Matisyn just kept saying how much she loved camping. She got a kick out of climbing the trees around us, hiking in the backpack, hanging around camp (when we were out seeing the sights she kept asking when we were going to go back to camp), helping Dad with the campfire, looking out for bears (we never saw any, thankfully), and chasing "chick-a-munks" around the camp. Emilyn loved just sitting in her bouncy seat or in our arms looking around at everything. She is so content outdoors. The first day we just set up camp, and then drove around and looked at some scenic lookout points. The next day we had pancakes, got ready and headed out for a hike. Emilyn rode with me, and all 30 pounds of Matisyn rode with Matt. We did the Queen's Garden/Navajo Combination loop, around 3 miles straight down and straight up. It was neat to be down in the hoodoos, which are those big columns of rock that make Bryce so amazing. Then we went back to camp, had lunch, relaxed, and then went out for a drive to find some more scenic lookouts. Matt made delicious dutch oven dinners both nights. Yesterday we packed up our camp, checked out the visitor's center, and did the Mossy Cave/Waterfall hike. Matisyn even hiked a little by herself, and she loved playing in the water. We had a great trip, and look forward to going back sometime soon to explore a little more. I took about a million pictures, so even though this seems like alot, I really did narrow it down!
Emilyn's sleeping accommodations! She outgrew the laundry basket, so she was upgraded to a rubbermaid. She slept great the second night, only waking up a couple of times, but the first night she woke up a bunch. I think she was cold. I got better at wrapping her up and keeping her warm by the end of that first night.
Both girls crying in the car at the same time!
Matisyn Quotes:
Matisyn: Mommy I want the Binky Fairy to take my binky and blankie.
Me: Why?
Matisyn: Because I'm a big girl and Matisyn's and big girls don't need blankies and binkies.
We tried that night and she wasn't having any of the binky fairy. I'm feeling tougher and ready to throw the binky across the state in order to get rid of it. I wish she would keep this courage once night time came. At least we're making progress, because she used to cry when we mentioned the binky fairy.
Matt has to be careful using words like suck and crap. Matisyn is really starting to like to use them to. On our trip Matt said something and Matisyn repeated, "Yeah, that really does suck Daddy." Everyone around us on the trail was I'm sure proud of our daughter's vocabulary.
Matisyn: What does my shirt say Mommy? I want the letters to say my name.
Me: It says best friends forever.
Matisyn: Oh no, I don't want to be best friends with Ever!
We were talking about how it was great because we all had our water shoes on to play in the water on our hike. Then I said uh, oh we forgot Emilyn's water shoes. Matisyn said, "It's ok Mommy we can just leave her on a rock."
This was a quote from a lady that worked in the visitor's center in Bryce. She was going off about how cute Emilyn was, her smile, her dark hair, etc. and she said, "Wow, you sure put her together right!" I thought that was pretty cute. I'm sure Emilyn will appreciate that compliment when she gets older.
No comments:
Post a Comment