Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wow it's August!




Matisyn loves, loves, loves watermelon. Fruit is pretty much the only healthy thing that she eats without complaint. She took three pieces for the road after the Peppers goodbye party. We had a scare that night. I really just wanted to be at their party and instead we were at urgent care with Emilyn. She spiked a 102 degree fever and was really fussy. She had no other symptoms, so I just knew it was a urinary track infection. We took her in and because of her age and our background with Matisyn having bladder reflux they did a cathedar and tested her urine. The quick test showed white blood cells and blood which generally means infection. They gave her an antibiotic shot, more tears from both her and me, and a prescription and said to expect a call on Monday to confirm and to set up the tests at the hospital for bladder reflux. Matisyn got her first infection at 3 months so we have kind of been worrying and waiting for Emilyn to get one. I spent the weekend going through all the trauma with Matisyn's situation, the infections, pain, fevers, late nights, surgery, etc. and was not looking forward to it with Emilyn. Knowing what was ahead was a blessing and a curse. Anyway we got the results on Monday and the culture showed absolutely no bacteria. So after all that we are still in the clear for Emilyn. It must have been a virus that went away on its own. That was the first time she's been sick so far. It was very good news for us. Hopefully we can escape this genetic problem with her.

We were pretty sad last week. We had to say goodbye to the Peppers on Saturday. They share a backyard gate with us and we spent quite a bit of time with them. We were friends already when we moved here. Jana and Matt have known each other since they were little, and their families are friends so at least we will still see them. Jana and I always get mistaken for sisters. Having her right there saved me through my sick pregnacy and the difficult last few months. There were tears when they left, and Matisyn still doesn't understand that Mason and the other boys will not be coming home to that house. It looks so empty in their backyard now, we're lonely without them. The picture above is Matisyn and Mason playing on the morning they moved. We had them over for a last quick breakfast.







We were finally in town, and I was ready to take the girls to church. This was Emilyn's first time since her blessing. It was crazy to get out the door because Matt had to be there early, but we made it! Doesn't Emilyn look adorable all dressed up?!! She is so cute and we love her, but she is a handful. She wants to be held all the time, it's a wonder I get anything done. She's screaming right now because I put her down. My mom says she's spoiled, but I'm not sure what to do about it. This tough love, letting her cry thing is tough and it doesn't seem to be working. Ooh, a moment of silence, she found her fingers to suck on.


Happy Birthday Baby Sam. Our nephew Sam turned one and we had a great time getting to play with family and jump in the big bounce house. I wish I would have taken pictures of the adults collapsing the poor thing! Matisyn loves her cousins, especially David. They were both very helpful opening presents with Sam!


Oh how we love b'noodles. Good choice Aunt Megan!


I met Cora and Amanda with all the kids at the Children's Museum at Thanksgiving Point. We didn't walk around last time, and there are so many fun things for the kids to do. We went during two buck Tuesday though so it was very crowded. I'm excited to use our pass and explore once the big kids are back in school. It's difficult to take the girls anywhere these days between Emilyn hating the car and wanting to be held and Matisyn's strong opinions and tantrums, but they both did pretty well. Emilyn loved her stroller and Matisyn liked getting to play, so it was worth it!


Matisyn climbing down the ladder of the lighthouse. She was so brave. Most of the other little kids were too scared, but she marched right up and down with Emma and was so proud when she got back down.




I have been feeling a little more like myself lately, so I finally had the YW leader friends over with their kids to play on the slides. I love spending time with these girls, and I'd been meaning to have them over all summer. I figured it was about time since school starts next week. The summer has disappeared it seems. Matisyn starts preschool a week from Tuesday and she can hardly wait. We have a preschool open house tomorrow which I'm sure will be wonderful for her. She feels so big. She is finally starting to say she's grown up and she can't wait until she's big instead of wanting to be a baby like little sister. We'll see if it lasts. We're still working on the courage and energy to take the binky from her. I know, I know, it's time! Anyway, today was really nice. The moms just sat around and talked and the kids were pretty much entertained on their own with the slides, little pool, sandbox, bubbles, chalk, and snacks. I think there were about 20 kids running around in our backyard. I'm going to miss these summer days!





Matisyn Quotes:

The other morning I got so tired of her binky and she was crying about something even though she had it in her mouth. I finally told her she needed to stop crying or I was going to throw her binky out the window. Stubborn as she is she continued crying and determined to follow through as I am, I took the binky and threw it out the window. I think it's still somewhere in our backyard, she has found another one since then. Ever since I did that she has been saying, "Mommy, please don't throw my sister out the window!" I guess it made an impression. Don't worry, as mean as I was throwing her beloved binky I have no plans to do the same to her sister!

Matisyn loves for me to play in the bath with her. So the other day I decided I would make her happy and get in and play.
Mommy: Are you going potty in the bathtub?
Matisyn: No
Mommy: Are you sure? I think you are, and Mommy doesn't want to be in the bath with pee in it.
Matisyn: Well then you better get out!

I never let Matisyn sit in the front seat when I'm driving, and the other day Jana took her in her car for just a minute to pick up Mason at a friend's house. Matisyn thought it was the greatest thing. Jana said she was glowing.
"This is so fun. When I'm a big mommy I'm going to have pigtails and turn the big wheel."

"I like baby sister, she's my best friend."

1 comment:

  1. Those legs on Emilyn! That smile! She is a cutie!

    I love the Mati quotes--they always make me laugh. I especially enjoyed the bathtub one.

    ReplyDelete