Emilyn's Surgery
May 10
Emilyn has had ear infections almost constantly this winter. Starting in December she would get another infection a week or two after completing a round of antibiotics. We finally decided to see an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist and figure out what we needed to do. The doctor looked in her ears and said one was bulging with fluid (even though she had just completed a round of antibiotics a few days earlier) and the other was full of air, which I guess creates the same feeling of pressure and pain. He said she needed tubes, and because it was a late onset of symptoms, the infections started when she was two instead of when she was a baby, she would need her adenoids out. I guess it is common for the adenoids to be swollen and blocking the fluid if the infections start later. I was ready for a solution, and to get my happy girl back, so we scheduled the surgery for ear tubes and removing the adenoids.
Matt had to go to work, so I took Emilyn to the hospital on my own that morning. She was such a trouper, and handled everything so well. She got dressed in her gown and snuggled in her blankets in her little bed. She even let the doctors wheel her away from me without crying or getting upset at all. I was grateful she kept it together, because surgeries, no matter how small, make me nervous. I kept it together until she was gone and I called Matt! It really was a quick surgery, and everything went smoothly. I heard other kids down the hall screaming as they came out of the anesthesia, but she was just calm and sweet, no crying or fussiness at all. She just wanted me to hold her. She recovered pretty quickly, and if anything, kept overdoing it, and then crashing.
She seemed to feel better, but was still cranky and whiny, and seemed uncomfortable and still in pain. We went for a follow up appointment this week and I talked to the doctor about her symptoms. Her ears looked great, finally healthy like they should, and he didn't think she had a virus or infection of any sort even though she keeps coughing. We talked through some options, one possibility allergies, until I mentioned how the coughing is the worst every morning. He looked her over again and said he thinks she has acid reflux. We started her on medication for it a couple of days ago and I can already see a huge difference. The coughing is almost gone in the morning, and she seems like she finally feels so much better. She is still acting 3, but a much nicer 3! It's too early to tell for sure, but it looks like this might have been a two part problem that we are finally getting solved for her. I took a few pictures before she went into surgery and as she came out.






No comments:
Post a Comment