April 7-9
We had such a great trip to Hawaii this past month. We have been planning a ten year anniversary trip for as long as I can remember. We took it a little early, since our actual anniversary isn't until August. It took some time to decide where to go, we were working toward Fiji, but with the cost couldn't swing it. We finally decided on Hawaii, the big Island, since neither of us had been, and it was tropical, which was at the top of the list for us this time. We haven't taken a trip away like this, by ourselves, without kids, since before Matisyn was born. We had an amazing time getting to "know" each other again, actually talking through dinner, only worrying about ourselves, going from one activity to the next. We were very overdue for a trip like this. We couldn't have made it without my mom who was willing to take the girls for the whole 8 days we were gone. Luckily my brother and his girlfriend helped out some evenings, and my friend Jill was able to get her preschool to accept Matisyn for the week, so that took some pressure off. . . but my girls are a handful. Luckily they love Grandma so much, they didn't seem to notice we were gone. Grandma was entertaining enough, and they were having so much fun they didn't even ask about us the whole week! Thank you so much to my mom, we are extremely grateful and appreciative to you!
Day 1
Flew into Oahu, caught a connecting flight to Hawaii. Arrived at our hotel the Marriott in Waikoloa Village. Walked along beach, and checked out the resort. We ate at a sushi place for dinner, Matt's request. I ate my first somewhat raw fish, seared Ahi. . . very gross! I stuck with the cooked stuff the rest of the trip, but I was proud of myself for trying it!
Day 2
We started the day with a big walk around our area. We explored the Hilton right next to us. Their grounds were enormous, and they had a dolphin encounter area, where we watched the dolphins for a while. I really wanted to swim with the dolphins, but I couldn't justify the cost. The whole Waikoloa Village area was touristy, but so beautiful. We also walked around Kona downtown, got snorkle equipment, ate lunch right on the water, and got our first snowies of the trip. That afternoon we snorkeled at Kekaha Kai beach, which could only be accessed by a horribly bumpy, unpaved road, that was not rental car approved! The snorkeling was just okay, but we saw our first 3 sea turtles, and got to enjoy the beautiful beach. We ate a nice dinner at Roy's that night.
Hilton grounds and coral beach
Dolphin Encounter
Loved the little baby dolphin!
Braving the lava, bumpy road to Kekaha Kai beach
There were lava fields like this everywhere, it was really unique to this island, compared to the others we have seen.
The drive into Waikoloa Village to our Marriott resort
These were the only underwater pictures we got. Our underwater camera broke after the first day we used it, and wouldn't turn on again the whole rest of the trip.
Day 3
By Matt's request we avoided the nice boat ride and kayak rental to hike two miles STRAIGHT downhill over loose rock and through tall brush and grasses to snorkel at Kealakekua Bay, Captain Cook's Monument. The guide books don't even give it as an option if that gives you an idea. Leave it to Matt! It actually turned out to be a beautiful hike, and I enjoyed it for the most part. The straight up on the way back was pretty strenuous, and I ended up with 48 mosquito bites on my legs and arms from trying to change on the trail for the hike up. It was hard to see the bright side when I was miserable itching the whole rest of the trip! The snorkeling was spectacular though, the clearest water I think I've ever seen. It's supposed to be the second best spot on all the islands, the first one being a place we snorkeled in Maui, when we were first married. The coral and fish were beautiful and you could see so far down. We were sad we missed the dolphins though, that normally tend to visit that area in the morning. We forgot the camera, but we snapped a few pictures with Matt's phone.
Captain Cook's Monument
Kealakekua Bay, getting ready to snorkel








, 

That looks so fun, you guys! I'd be jealous except that we went to Maui in January, so I can't really be, can I?! That sounds like Matt to take you on a two mile, mosquito-infested hike! Beautiful pics :)
ReplyDelete