1. We say "you're so handsome" all day long.
2. He got his 1st bottle on day 2 because he was such a hungry boy. Colostrum was not enough for my voracious eater. He has gotten one a day or so since which has given me some relief. Pumping is easier for painful yeast, and it gives me a little freedom while my mom has been helping out.
3. He has squirting poops and arching pee streams that shoot across the room. Most days my clothes are covered with spit up or one of the above! He manages to arch the pee over himself and soak me, the sheets, etc. and completely miss himself. It is a talent. Boys are much different to change than girls. We are still getting used to it. Our favorite thing is that he manages to go immediately every time he has a clean diaper, sometimes twice, so that each diaper change requires three diapers!
4. I am having a hard time thinking this is my last baby. I'm trying to soak it all in. I say things like this is my "last, first bath" or this is the last time I'll have a one week old. With as tired as I am you'd think I'd be emotional about that, but instead I'm sad that it will all be over too soon. I really love the newborn stage.
5. He has started to smile in his sleep or when we rub his cheek.
6. He loves to have his hands free to suck on and sometimes likes his binky. Whenever he cries both girls run as fast as they can to find a binky and try to soothe him. We tried to tell them that him crying is just his way of communicating with us since he can't talk, but it really stresses the girls out, especially Matisyn.
7. The girls have actually been quite good with him, and are so far pretty gentle and loving, with just a few reminders needed. I'm pretty sure Baby Emilyn was dragged at this point by three year old Matisyn. I'm hoping to save Lucas from that kind of treatment. Matisyn could just sit and hold him. She loves him to grab her hand. Emilyn loves to help with diaper changes, and thinks him peeing and pooping on Mommy is hilarious!
8. Considering he is so new, he is sleeping alright at night. The first four nights were crazy, he was up crying like something hurt for most of the fourth night, but since seems to be a pretty good sleeper, waking up every 2-3 hours. As most newborns do, he is confusing day and night and thinks 4 pm is bedtime and 4 am is wake up time. I spend most mornings from 4-6 up with him. We're working on that, but he is not easy to wake up during the day, and so precious to hold. (The last few nights since he turned 2 weeks he is not staying awake from 4-6 anymore, but has started waking up every hour and a half or so except for his first long stretch from 8 or 9 to 12 or 1. We do not seem to be close to a schedule yet. I figured out I could avoid the middle of the night wake periods by skipping the diaper change. I feel a little guilty, but I just cover him in cream, and use a bigger diaper, and he seems perfectly happy to keep sleeping after he is fed each time. No judging!)
9. Baby holding is my drug of choice. I can't get enough. Matt says if I put him down the drug would be stronger the next time, but I think he just wants a turn!
10. Grandma Karen has been Super Grandma. She has made the transition so much smoother, and I am so very grateful to her. She was getting the girls ready, fed and off to school, helping with homework, playing ponies with Emilyn, doing the dishes, helping with laundry, loving baby, and keeping me company. It was very sad to see her go on Sunday, and we all miss her very much. Thanks so much mom for everything! My neighbors and friends have also been wonderful, bringing in dinners and treats, helping with the girls, and checking in on me. I feel blessed to have so many great people around me. I know that these people have made the difference in how I feel and how things are going around here.
11. He is very noisy, and makes lots of cute grunting and cooing baby sounds.
12. I should mention that I am so in love with this baby!
He sleeps in the playpen next to our bed right now since he wakes up to eat so often at night. He's so noisy though sometimes I have to wear ear plugs to sleep next to him! Somehow I can still hear when he is ready to eat. I usually catch him before he cries.
Emilyn helping Grandma Karen give Lucas a bottle.
Baby Lucas meeting Papa Curt for the first time! He was on his way back to the rehab center from doing some tests at the hospital and was having a good day and able to visit with us.
They didn't want the girls to feel left out of the attention so Papa and Grandma Barb brought them each a big, cuddly new friend. They have been in love with their kitty and bear and take them back and forth from their beds to the family room. Not sure about the swim suits, but they were playing dress up with their new animal friends!
I can't believe he fit in my stomach just the week before!
The red in his eye is apparently from birth and should fade and go away soon.
The girls getting to help with a bath. Emilyn especially was really into wanting to help wash Lucas.
Cousin Mckenzie meeting Baby Lucas!
Saying goodbye to Grandma Karen. :( She stayed about 2 1/2 weeks and we were so sad to see her go. She left on Sunday, the day before Lucas turned 2 weeks old.
Matisyn on crazy hair day. She wanted one side down and one in a pony tail. We added a braid in the back to be extra crazy!
Matisyn is doing great on her spelling. Sometimes I forget to practice with her until Thursday night and she picks up on the words really fast. She is even getting the challenge words most weeks (on the back of the paper).
2 Weeks Old
10-22-12
9 lbs 3 oz 65%
21.2 in 70 %
Head 37.1 50 %















Love the updates and photos! What's going on with Matt's dad? You've referred to him being ill in several posts, but I'm out of the loop.
ReplyDelete